01 August 2007

Rob's Tour de North part 6 (27/07/07)

What a day! Longest day in the saddle. Furthest I've ever ridden in a day. First ever century ride. I was chuffed and knackered in equal measure at the end of it. Nearly 126 miles and that into a strong head/cross wind on a loaded touring bike.

The original plan was to stop in Hornsea/Withernsea area or Hull (if my old friend Martin was around for beer). He wasn't and I felt strong so I decided to keep going to my Dad's house in Horncastle, Lincolnshire.

A marvellous breakfast at the Youth Hostel prepared me for the long day and I was soon climbing up on to the edges of the North York Moors. Lots of ups and downs for the 1st 15 miles with some steep bits chucked in to keep you on your toes (or out of your saddle would be more apt). More of an issue was the traffic on the A171. Busy and not very nice. Lovely to see the heather in bloom though. Dropped into Scarborough (my fave seaside resort) for my 1st cuppa and a cake and then climbed out and stuck to the main road to Bridlington. Another stop for a drink and then onwards to Hornsea at which point I'd made my mind up to press on down into Lincolnshire. Stopped at Hornsea Mere (like going back in time) for lunch and topped up my water bottles.

Looking down towards Scarborough


North beach at Scarborough

Hornsea Mere cafe

Then on towards Hull into the teeth of the wind with no shelter. I was pleasantly surprised by the centre of Hull. Very nice indeed. It was the 'Wilberforce weekend' and lots going on but I wasn't stopping. On towards the Humber Bridge along the Hessle Road. The bridge is free for bikes of course and I took the west path so it didn't feel like I was going to be blown into the water below. And then it started to rain.

Followed NCN route 1 on quiet roads towards Caistor. Stopped for a pee at about 90 miles and it hurt like hell!! A shortish 10% climb approaching Caistor and then the computer ticks over to 100.00. Yeah. Feels good. But still another 25 miles to go and I'v e run out of water. Oh well. There'll be a garage on the way though. Or a pub. Or a late shop. Was there bollocks! Climbed up on to the Wolds and then its rural roads and nothing til Horncastle. Bloody puncture near the Belmont transmitter mast with only 10 miles to go. A thorn! Actually, my arms were aching more than my legs or arse and so it took a bit of effort to get sufficient pressure in the tyre before I could set off again. Very thirsty by now but not long to go.




A long day

Rolled into Dads at about 8.20pm and very ready for a drink, a shower and something to eat. Feel quite knackered. Dad had cooked a wonderful roast beef dinner and plied me with bottles of real ale so I was a happy bunny. Good on him.

Todays stats:

Mileage: 125.6 miles
Max speed: 43.9mph
Av speed: 13.1 mph
Soakings: 1
Mechanicals: 1 puncture

No comments: