01 August 2007

Rob's Tour de North part 3 (24/07/07)

Today was quite a tough day in the saddle. Enjoyable - very - but a lot of hills and many of them hard. The scenery in the North Pennines is magnificent though and it was a fantastic day.

Up before 6, as couldn't sleep very well, on another overcast day and sat (feeling cold) drinking tea. On the road by about 8.30 and into Penrith. Cornish pasty and a Belgian bun for breakfast and sent a couple of postcards. Couldn't find Penrith Tea Rooms and so couldn't take the opportunity to order the finest wines known to humanity and have them NOW (won't mean a thing unless you've seen Withnail and I).

From Penrith the road starts to climb to Langwathby and then undulates with some sharp pitches to Renwick. Weather looking gloomy over Hartside and I was hoping it would clear. It did :-) Came across a massive dead badger on the roadside and it looked as though it had only just been hit :-(

Then hit the first big climb of the day up to Hartside Fell. Over 400m of climbing in about 4 miles. Its actually a nice gradient and you can get into a rhythm and keep spinning. Not really that difficult. Took me 36 minutes to get to the top. The cafe at the top is a welcoming sight and it was about lunchtime anyway. Stuffed down a huge plate of ham, egg and chips and lots of tea and off we go again. Nice long downhill followed by a short climb and then more downhill Garrigill and the 2nd major hill of the day. This one is a bastard though. No warning on the map and you are straight into a 25% climb that kills your legs before a really long drag to the top. I think the worst part of the climb was the bloody flies. Loads of them and you can't go fast enough to outrun the buggers! Anyway, managed to keep going fine and no need to stop for any breathers. A VERY fast descent into Nenthead with some blind corners that rush up at you and then straight into the 3rd big hill of the day up to Black Hill (the highest point of the route) and the border with Northumberland. Its fairly steep but not as bad as the last one.




From here ...


To here (4 miles later) took 36 minutes


Bloody right I'll be using a low gear.

Seen lots of C2C'ers today and haven't (yet) been passed by anyone. I am the King of the Mountains (I wish).



Top of Black Hill


Yes I do look a bit sweaty. There's a good reason

After enjoying the views from Black Hill another descent before climbing steeply again and then a fast descent into Allenheads. I imagine you get the picture for today :-) Couple of pints of Blacksheep and then the final big climb of the day up to Currick and the border with Co. Durham at 536m. From here it was an exhilarating and fast 4 mile downhill to Rookhope and my stop for the day. This descent through desolate but glorious moorland at 35-40mph was definitely the highlight of the day for me. I can honestly say I'll always remember it and the surrounding scenery. I'd love to live here but imagine any commute by bike would be challenging!
Crossing into Co. Durham
On the descent into Rookhope

As I rolled into the Old Vicarage at Rookhope, where they welcome C2C campers, I got a front wheel puncture. No worries. Fixed it whilst letting the tent dry off. Weather glorious by now. A shower at the site - bliss - and a chance to wash some cycling kit. Then walked back into Rookhope for food and beer. Walked back at 10.30 with just enough light to find my tent and get in. In doing so I must have let a small army of mozzies in as well. Bugger!

Overall, not a high mileage day but definitely one of my more memorable and challenging days on the bike.

Todays stats:

Mileage: 48.8
Max speed: 45.4 mph
Av speed: 10.9 mph (hey, I walked my bike round Penrith for ages)
Pints: 7!
Soakings: 0
Mechanicals: Puncture and minor gear cable adjustment

No comments: