02 January 2008

First ride of 2008

Back at work tomorrow and the nasty cold I've suffered with for a week had just about gone so off we jolly well go. Decided on a circular route of sleepy Nottinghamshire villages and lanes that would keep me occupied for about 4 hours or so. Route here if you are interested. 56 miles in total.

It felt really cold and the wind on some of the more exposed sections was fairly stiff. My midriff was bright red when I got back despite wearing a fleece and my 'boil in the bag' cycling jacket. The watery sun did put in an appearance of sorts in the latter part of the ride though. Keeping moving was the key. No cafe/pub stops today although I did sit in a bus shelter in Bothamsall to eat some sandwiches. Blimey I felt cold and stiff when I decided to get going again.

Most of the route was lovely; largely quiet, narrow lanes lined with hedges and woodland to keep the worst of the wind away. Only the busy drag between Retford and Worksop on the last leg sapped at my high spirits.

An enjoyable ride but it felt tougher than it should have done and my knees were a bit stiff and sore afterwards. Suppose I could blame the nasty cold I've just got rid of but in reality I'm just unfit having been off the bike since a week before Xmas. I aim to put that right though.

No comments: