18 October 2005

Check that your mudguards are properly attached.

A cautionary tale here. Certainly not approaching Simon's recent close acquaintance with tarmac following a mudguard problem but worthy of note anyway.

Cycling happily along yesterday when pppffffiiissshhh. First puncture in ages! On checking the tyre I found a very large clean cut that consigned the tyre to the bin. Bugger. Any puncture is annoying but one that knackers a good quality tyre that has only done around 200 miles tends to pique a tad more. No glass or other obvious culprit in the cut. I was puzzled. Further investigation revealed that my rear mudguard had come a bit loose and the sharpish bit where the stay attaches to the guard itself had slashed the tyre.

The cut was so bad that I couldn't risk just fitting a spare inner tube and I had no emergency 'tyre boot' with me. Luckily I only had a short walk to the nearest LBS - JE James - for a new tyre. I'll give them some credit as well. Got a conti top touring tyre for only £12 AND they happily disposed of the knackered tyre AND they let me borrow decent tyre levers and a track pump to do the repair in the shop.

No comments: